Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Day 8

Song 36: Company Flow - "Definitive"
I love EL-P but I really haven't listened to this that much. Nothing particular special. It's interesting, to me, because it has much more of a standard dark hip-hop beat than EL's solo stuff. I also appreciated the reference to 'sucking the cookie out the pussy,' though I'd guess anyone that knew Company Flow probably thought that was cooler when they heard it on Fantastic Damage.

Song 37: Eels - "Teenage Witch"
The keyboard line in the verse of this song reminds me so much of War's "Lowrider," but not in a particularly good way. Amazingly, when it drops out for the chorus, the song gets worlds better. I'd even call it sexy, or at least as sexy as an Eels song can sound.

Song 38: Bloc Party - "Sunday"
This is way better than the Nick Drake "Sunday." The pretty boring verse also gives way to an adorable chorus that I can get behind all the time: "I love you in the morning, when you're still hung over." Bloc Party was definitely better when they were banging out some claustrophobic jams, but this song isn't bad at all.

Song 39: Obie Trice - "Hoodrats"
What do Craig Finn and Obie Trice have in common? Both have songs about hoodrats! Finn's characterization of hoodrats is a little more vivid, but I don't doubt both artists have run into hoodrats from time to time. Plus Obie raps his take on them, which is a bit more fun.

Song 40: The Only Children - "West Virginia"
40 songs into this blog and I've been extremely flip-floppy regarding faux country. I can't get behind this song. It's pleasent enough, but it's like, how do you go from being in a respectable emo-pop band whose last album was sort of challenging, to some straight ahead blues infused country? This is a boring song.

No comments: