Thursday, November 20, 2008

Day 12

Song 56: Dizzee Rascal - "Graftin'"
This is a very hard song for me to listen to and concentrate on. It has Dizzee's usual million syllables a second flow, but the beat is like somebody chopped and screwed diz's beat into oblivion. It's so slow and sparse, it's so jarring juxtaposed with the quickness of the rapping. It is actually almost giving me a headache right now, which isn't usual, but still very unwelcome.

Song 57: Ultimate Fakebook - "Wrestling Leap Year"
Power POP! This'll raise the bpm a bit! A very cool sinsiter sounding verse leads into a bit of a herky-jerky chorus here. Thankfully, the chorus is short so as to get back to the pretty cool verse. Hey three people that read this blog, what is a wrestling leap year?

Song 58: Liz Phair - "Johnny Sunshine"
This is, if nothing else, a very cool name for a song. Admittadly, I have maybe listened to this cd once or twice ever, so I don't have a strong inclination to Liz Phair at all. It's not bad though. The mild wall of distortion that the song sits in front surprised me. If the song wanted to, it could really explode at the end with some huge wall of sound collaging. Too bad it wastes the last 45 seconds slooooooowly fading out.

Song 59: Teddybears - "Punk Rocker (Featuring Iggy Pop)"
Yes! I first heard this, or parts of it, in some commercial. Unbeknownst to Luke, I had wanted to hear the real thing for awhile, and he ended up putting it on my Christmas 2006 mix cd. Maybe my favorite song from that mix, too. This was a perfect song for Iggy Pop to sing, sort of like how Johnny Cash doing all of the covers of 90s alternative hits was really cool because the age of the vocals just changes so much about the message, Iggy Pop turns the song into sort of an aging lament on being a punk rocker. The whole thing fits so comfortably opposite the cheerful synth-driven backing music. I love it. "See my die on Bleaker Street. / I'm bored with being god."

Song 60: Architecture In Helsinki - "Fumble"
Architecture in Helsinki are almost just a bit too cute for their own good, but that doesn't detract here. The stop-start horns and guitars are pleasent and give the song a bit of mystery, because it's not entirely clear where the chorus will appear. Neat song, AIH.

No comments: