Monday, November 10, 2008

Day 10

Wow, ten days! According to my math, that leaves only 990 days left to go! Live it up while you still can!

Song 46: Akron - "Interlude: Ak Ak Was The Boat They Sailed In On"
Again, probably not a "song" I should really be blogging, but this is like the best version of Ocean Sounds there is! I don't need calm, relaxing seagulls and mild surf. I want ratchey tractor noises and an uneven sea! I want an ominous sound of a person walking in the brush, just out of my eye-sight. I want to not watch the Cardinals win this football game...oh wait.

Song 47: Pavement - "Coolin' The Sound"
I hesitate to say Pavement had a bad ear for their best songs, because aside from a few clunkers per album, it's not like they ever released a record that was one big shit sandwich, but their b-sides are sometimes equally listenable. I always liked "Coolin' The Sound," which is maaaaaybe poooosssibly the one song sung by Spiral Stairs that I really, really enjoy out of the Pavement catalogue. I install such a caveat to that because A) I'm not even entirely sure that's Spiral singing and B) because there might be one other song somewhere of his that I like. Whatever, the guitar is so easy going and fun in this track.

Song 48: The Dresden Dolls - "The First Orgasm"
I'm feeling a little too shy to blog about this song, so instead i'll post the lyrics and just say that I probably can't ever include this on any mix cd I ever make, ey?
It is a Thursday
I got up early
it is a challenge
I’m usually lazy

I make some coffee
I eat some Rice Chex
And then I sit down
To check my inbox

I only read a word or two
I stare across the street and see the churches and the blue

The first orgasm of the morning
Is cold and hard as hell
There wont be any second coming
As far as I can tell

I arch my back cause
I’m very close now
It’s very cold here
By the window

There are some school kids
Yelling and running
They barely notice
That I am coming

The first orgasm of the morning
Is like a fire drill
It's nice to have a little warning
But not enjoyable

I am too busy to have friends
A lover would just complicate my plans
So I will never look for love again
I’m taking matters into my own hands
I’m taking matters into my own hands

I bet I could last at least a week without someone to hold me
I bet I could last at least a week without someone to hold me
Won’t you hold me?
Won’t you hold me?
Won’t you hold me?

Upon pasting that, I'm actually fairly impressed at the mix of odd puns and sad desperation near the end. I also just probably make some young kid's google searching very irritating. Sorry, bro!

Song 49: Magnetic Fields - "Roses"
One of the shortest Magnetic Fields songs that I am aware of, at 27 seconds, it reminds me of a church hymn. Not that I go to church very often, but the heavy echo on the vocals sung in a choral manner leads me to that very wise statement.

Song 50: Jack Rose - "Dark Was The Night"
Ha ha! Very funny, iTunes! A fine song to end our day on, this instrumental country ditty reminds me of a time when I said, "Yeah I like classic country, not that new stuff." And this is the sound I meant, basically. It's all slide guitar and sounds like it was made by an hombre in the middle of a desert. Cool song.

2 comments:

luke said...

you might need to check your math there.

Dan said...

Ahahaha I should really proof read these blogs before I post them.