Thursday, October 30, 2008

Day 6

(Note: I had to shorten the labels, I know how to spell things.)

Song 26: Immortal Technique - "Getaway"
Seeing Immortal Technique live was one of the most intimidating/intense hip-hop experiences I've witnessed. It was so angry and dark, and his between song banter amounted to depressing stories about the street. Not a fun show, really. This song is, by comparison, fairly optimistic. It's mostly a brag track, a mix of braggadocio and hip-hop hope. Side note, someone I know, though I can't remember who now, revealed to me that she loved Immortal Technique, and I was so surprised because the person wasn't into hip-hop at all. You think you know some people!

Song 27: Nirvana - "Where Did You Sleep Last Night"
I hadn't even heard the original version of this until a year or two ago. Popular opinion says this performance stole the show at Nirvana's unplugged performance, and it's not hard to see why. It touches on everything Nirvana was; bare, emotional, and was not; sparse, haunting, and hits both angles spot on. Probably the coolest song I listened to at age 12, besides maybe "Beat It."

Song 28: The Magnetic Fields - "Is This What They Used To Call Love?"
Stephen Merritt is my favorite gay songwriter today, assuming Kevin Barnes is really straight. This song, excepting the cute little bridge, is fairly depressing, especially with the beat poet upright bass that's going on.

(Skipping: Nirvana - "Polly." iTunes shuffle is pretty bad at shuffling.)

Song 29: Sunset Rubdown - "Stadiums and Shrines II"
I guess I'm about to work out, live on this blog, why I dislike Sunset Rubdown but really enjoy Wolf Parade! You know, this song isn't bad, but it just feels so much jammier than Wolf Parade. It's covered in a little too much reverb, and feels too far away to be affecting. I did think that "There's a kid in there/ and he's big, and dumb and kinda scared" was excellently delivered. This blog is winning me over on the music I already own.

Song 30: Eels - "Bride of Theme From Blinking Lights"
I ordinary wouldn't blog about a song that is less than 2 minutes long and is an instrumental, but Eels have made some of my favorite instrumentals throughout their career. This is right up there. It just feels so innocent and childlike, but maybe all soft songs with xylophones sound that way to me. This is a nice way to end this entry, anyway.

1 comment:

JDK said...

Ditto about Sunset Rubdown. When they get Wolf Parade-y and play guitars it's great (see "Stadiums and Shrines" and also a bit of "Snakes Got A Leg III," and the end of "Up On Your Leopard"), but for the most part, I admire them more than I enjoy them. Because I still enjoy and love Wolf Parade, if only because it's immediately accessible. Even if Dan Boeckner's songs always have the same lyrics.

But anyhow, it's strange that my favorite Sunset Rubdown albums is the 2006 EP, which was just Spencer Krug without a backup band. It's on the lo-fi side which gives it a huge amount of charm, as evidenced by my favorite track off it, the instrumental "A Day in the Graveyard." You should definitely track it down if you already haven't, or I could just toss you a link.